[Samba] Help?

Healy, James F James.F.Healy at dig.com
Sat Feb 28 00:19:53 GMT 2004

I am running samba on a solaris7 server and sharing files to several windows clients in a development lab, I am experiencing a moving target of a problem that seems to be easily reproduced.

samba version 2.2.3 and 3.0.1 on this server both appear to have the issue, so it may not be a samba problem but I can't think of why the OS would have the issue in the first place.

The scenario is this a single folder houses several files that are a common requirement of our development, when more than one developer (or one developer on multiple machines) launches a process that accesses this file tree sometimes (but not always) both instances of the process attempt to read the same file (any given file) at about the same instant. When this happens both clients hang, the server appears to still be able to read the file but the clients that attempt simultaneous access hang up.

Can any of you point me in a direction to further flush out a possible cause and solution?

Any insight you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,