[Samba] password changes with ctrl-alt-del

Geddes jgeddes at unb.ca
Fri Feb 27 14:18:23 GMT 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> Geddes wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply. That is the impression that I was getting too.
> >
> > So as an alternative to no domains, I figure I will create a domain but
> > not join any machines to that domain.
>
> ???
>
> if you press ctrl-alt-del on a machine that's not part of a domain,
> all you can change is the local password.
> if you want your users to be able to change their server-side
> password, you have to join the machine to the domain.

What I have done is on the XP pro workstation (non domain member) I press
ctrl-alt-del then change password then I select:

User name: (test user on PDC)
log on to: (manually enter netbios name of the PDC)
old password: xxxxxx
new password: xxxxxx
confirm new password: xxxxxx

and the password changes on the PDC. I would like to be able to do the
same with the PDC instead of being a windows box, I would like it to be
samba. So far my attempts have failed and was wondering if anyone has
achieved this.