[Samba] winbind and unix/nt login match use unix uid

ww m-pubsyssamba pubsyssamba at bbc.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 10:38:42 GMT 2004

>Hi, I'm on solaris 9, and using winbind to be a part of our NT domain. I'm trying to determine if it's
>possible to configurewinbind/smb so that when the nt login name matches the unix login name the share
>is mounted using their unix uid. With none matching account names, username map works fine. It doesn't
>appear that "johnsmith = johnsmith" works in the username map file.

This should be the default behaviour if you have configured the passwd line in nsswitch.conf as follows

passwd	files winbind

If a user exists in files with the same user name then Samba should use that first because of the order in
which files and winbind are listed. I think this will be case sensitive and may also be affected by the
domain prefix created by winbind if you are not using "winbind use default domain = yes" in smb.conf. I think
this will work best with winbind use default domain, but I guess should work wihout if you play around with
the user names.

thanks Andy.

>thanks for any assistance,
>lex

BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically
stated.
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.