[Samba] remote announce and cross subnet browsing

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 27 06:13:40 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 22:18, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 21:54, Beast wrote:
> > * Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> nulis:
> >

> > > The broadcast address is what you want, I think.  But really, you want
> > > a shared wins server, and a samba server on each subnet (which will
> > > ensure that browsing works well)
> >
> > One shared wins server is not possible, because if link is down then client can't register to wins.
> >
> ----
> he's telling you that you want a shared wins server because samba
> doesn't support exchange of data between wins servers - whether with
> Windows based wins servers or with samba based wins servers. Thus the
> remote announce which should be targeted at the broadcast address of
> remote subnets. The next problem then is your routers which may be
> blocking broadcasts from remote subnets - I think if you think about
> this, you can see why some might want to prevent this. Check the methods
> used in running the tunnels between the subnets and see if you can
> selective 'unblock' broadcasts.
---
actually, now that I've thought about this, I don't recall remote
announce being effective with samba based wins at remote subnets. I
think what I have done in the past for this is to put a list of wins
servers - 1 for each subnet in each windows client and this can be done
fairly simply with dhcp.

Of course, you could skip wins and just use ddns to register the dhcp
leases and resolve everything with dns and forget about wins but that is
more work.

Craig