[Samba] Trusted NT domains won't connect

Dan Tremitiere tremitie at bc.edu
Thu Feb 26 21:55:29 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I've been struggling with this problem for quite some time, and I'm
hoping someone will have an answer for me.  I'm trying to use Samba to
authenticate against a campus-wide NT domain setup.  As such, I can't
change any of the details of the NT domain.

The NT domains are set up as follows:

                +-----> USER1

     MACHINES <-+-----> USER2

                +-----> USER3

Machines join the MACHINES domain, using a username (let's call it
"addmachine") and password set aside for this purpose.  USER1, USER2,
and USER3 are trusted by MACHINES, and all user accounts are created in
these three domains.

I've got smbd and winbindd running under Samba 3.0.2a1.  Issuing

    net join -S PDCNAME -Uaddmachine%password

returns

    Joined domain MACHINES.

Issuing wbinfo -m at this point will return:

    USER1
    USER2
    USER3

(MACHINES is absent.)

Issuing wbinfo --sequence, however, returns:

USER1 : DISCONNECTED
USER2 : DISCONNECTED
USER3 : DISCONNECTED
MACHINES : 75917

Try as I might, I have never gotten Samba to connect to the USER1-3
domains.  What am I doing wrong?  The global section of my smb.conf
(minus comments) is
below.

My apologies if this is a duplicate post; I tried posting it to
linux.samba but
that seems to just be a mail -> news gateway.

     Dan

smb.conf:
[global]

workgroup = MACHINES