[Samba] Solaris 8 and cups issues

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Feb 26 19:22:12 GMT 2004

> [Samba] Solaris 8 and cups issues
> Tim Russell timrussell at rocketmail.com
> Fri Feb 6 01:09:37 GMT 2004

[....]

> The windows share is set up with "raw" and the client then uses it's
> own driver. The Solaris queue is set to HP and the generic laserjet.ppd.
> The windows queue prints fine but the unix queue prints nothing (it just
> shows up as a cancelled job under the cups web interface).

...which means that you are asking this question in the wrong newsgroup.
Better see if "http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php" is for you...  ;-)

A few things you could check and tell the folks at cups.org:

* output of "ls -l /usr/lib/cups/filter/"
* output of "gs -h"
* output of "grep '*cupsFilter' /etc/cups/ppd/*"

You can set "LogLevel debug" in "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf", restart cupsd
and see what now goes into "/var/log/cupa/error_log".

> If I change the Solaris queue to raw as well, it prints out garbage
> (but it does at least print something).
>
> One final note, we can't use the "configure" option in the cups gui
> (localhost:631 and then printers) on shared printers. It gives a
> "client-error".

"raw" queues don't have a PPD associated to them. "raw" queues can't
be configured. "raw" queues spawn that error....

> We don't specify individual printers in the smb.conf file
> (we just tell it to share all of them) so I'm guessing that the few
> printers I can do this too will stop allowing me to use the "configure"
> option once I restart samba.

This has nothing to do with Samba.

> Do we need to go grab  gimp-print for more drivers or is this some
> other problem?

No need for gimp-print....

If your HP is a PostScript model (you didn't name the type at all,
so I can't provide you with an exact download link...) use the "PPD"
file coming with the Windows driver CD (or download the PPD from
the HP website).

If it is a non-PS printer, use a PPD from the Linuxprinting.org
website, alongside the HP "hpijs" driver.. Which also requires a
newer version of Ghostscript -- best is ESP Ghostscript -- that
has the "ijs"-device compiled in (check with "gs -h | grep ijs")

> Sorry for the long post (we're very close to getting this completely
> working and I'm rambling now :)
>
> Thanks,
> -Tim

Cheers,