[Samba] browse master serious problem

Radu Naidinescu cubiq at neocom.ro
Thu Feb 26 18:35:06 GMT 2004

I have a LAN with a samba server witch acts as wins for it. It's also
suposed to be a browse master for it, but unfortunately sometimes some
windows xp/2000 pc becomes browse master and chaos follows... there is
no pc in the wins list. I observed that stations with a firewall on it
defeat the samba server and I cannot obligate the people who use those
pc to stop their firewalls!

What can i do to prevent samba to lose the status of browse master?

Here is my smb.conf

[global]
  encrypt passwords = yes
  workgroup = BadBoys
  netbios name = server
  server string = server
  log file = /var/log/samba/samba.%m
  max log size = 50
  security = user
  deadtime = 5
  bind interfaces only = yes
  interfaces = eth1 lo
  null passwords = no
  guest account = nobody
  debug level = 1

  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

  os level = 255
  local master = yes
  domain master = yes
  preferred master = yes

  wins support = yes
  name resolve order = bcast host wins lmhosts

[temp]
  path = /share/tmp
  guest ok = no
  guest only = no