[Samba] Samba-3.0.2 PDC LDAP: Add computer to domain issue with smbldap-tools

David Wilson dave at dcdata.co.za
Thu Feb 26 13:08:58 GMT 2004

Hi guys,

I've installed openldap-2.1.25 and Samba-3.0.2 and configured everything
with no TLS on a Slackware-9.1 Linux box.

To manage the LDAP backed I've used smbldap-tools-0.8.4.
After populating the database with smbldap-populate I was able to first
add users to /etc/passwd etc. and then to LDAP with smbldap-useradd -a
and access the server via Windows PCs. Everything appeared to be working
correctly.

My only problem is that I cannot seem to get a machine account added
correctly. I've added the PC name to /etc/passwd etc. with "useradd -s
/bin/false -g computers pc1$" and also run "smbldap-useradd -w pc1".
When the computer attempts to join the domain it receives an "unable to
join domain" error. It seems that "smbldap-useradd -w pc1" seems to add
only a posix account to the LDAP backend ?:
-----------
 pc1$, Computers, domain.net
dn: uid=pc1$,ou=Computers,dc=domain,dc=net
objectClass: top
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
cn: pc1$
sn: pc1$
uid: pc1$
uidNumber: 1007
gidNumber: 553
homeDirectory: /dev/null
loginShell: /bin/false
-------------

I've missed something somewhere for sure ? Perhaps I need nss_ldap ?
I've also tried using the smbldap-tools that come with samba-3.0.2.

Thank you kindly.

--

Many thanks and kind regards,

David Wilson
D c D a t a
+27 33 3427003
+27 82 4147413
http://www.dcdata.co.za
support at dcdata.co.za
KZN's first and only pure Linux solution provider