[Samba] Remote Windows registry read access from Linux?

Peter Valdemar Mørch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Feb 26 09:09:55 GMT 2004

Jörn Nettingsmeier (address removed) wrote:
 > a somewhat heavyweight solution is to run the openssh server from
 > cygwin, which will provide you remote shell access.
 >
 > if you find your way
 > around with just the command line, you should be fine. if you need gui
 > tools, combine it with the free winvnc server on localhost - you can
 > then tunnel into the machine, and the vnc stuff won't
 > ever be visible on
 > the net in the clear. presto: a zero-budget remote
 > administration tool.
 >
 > the only drawback of the vnc server is that it will not ask the user
 > who's logged on before granting access. only the change of color of a
 > tiny icon in the taskbar tells the user someone is following their
 > session, and i don't want my users feel like they are being spied on.

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply. The beauty of smb/rpc would be that it
wouldn't require any software installed on the remote machines. With a
domain administrator password, we could successfully query all windows
hosts in the network without any problems. We're developing a network
managment application, and have committed ourselves to not requiring any
installation on a pr. client basis, so this is ideal.

I already use VNC (TightVNC - also free!) for many other purposes, and
have used the openssh daemon under cygwin in the past - but by their
nature, they require client software installed. If that is the case, I'm
more inclined to create a daemon/service running on Windows that will
access remote repositories via MS Visual Basic or MS C++... Also we need
to be able to query 100s of machines, so VNC is not really viable.

Thank you for your time in answering me!

But I'm still in the market for a remote repository access solution...

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.morch.com