[Samba] Persistant Z drive in XP

Moondance Foxmarnick technology at ovs.org
Thu Feb 26 03:01:32 GMT 2004

Hello. New to SAMBA.(2.2.8 on RH9) Mixed environment of 98 & (trying)
XP. My "net use s: /home" command works wonderfully for XP and 98. But
XP throws in an "extra" "more home-than-home" directory - namely
\username\.win_profile on the Z drive. I've tried disconnecting it with:
net use Z: /delete, but XP claims to have a process running on it (even
after 10 min). This is going to confuse the @$%@ out of my users.

What is going on? And more importantly: how do I get it to stop?

My SMB.conf file is a-la Using SAMBA from O'reilly press and therefore
says:

logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u\%m
logon script = logon.bat
logon home = \\%L\%u\.win_profile\%m

with -

[netlogon]
      path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
      create mask = 0600
      directory mask = 0700
      browseable = No

[profiles]
      path = /ovs/home/samba-ntprof
      browsable = no
      writable = yes
      create mask = 0600
      directory mask = 0700

[homes]
      read only = No
      browseable = No

Hopefully, somebody will reply, if only to commiserate. <smile>
-Moondance