[Samba] Samba vs Solaris 8 NFS

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Feb 25 20:16:04 GMT 2004

Having put on a full Nomex suit, I'd like to ask any Sun Solaris users whether they're done throughput testing to compare the speed of NFS and Samba shares to a Windows server.
   Currently, I use Hummingbird's application called NFS Maestro to share out some files -- just a handful, really -- from a Windows (2000? XP?) system to a couple of Suns. However, when that Windows box goes down, the hung NFS mounts make my Suns get...nervous. :7) Would I take a performance penalty if I switched over to using smbclient command on the Suns? Would I gain in reliability at all (on the assumption that I could use a cron job to look for a dropped connection and reopen it)?
   Thanks for any thoughts.
-wde
P.S. Is the list down? I haven't gotten any spam or viruses from it in days. :7)
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator