[Samba] "Remember Password" from 2000/XP to Samba share?

Steven Kurylo skurylo at cleartech.ca
Wed Feb 25 19:59:34 GMT 2004

>1. The ability to have the same username on both the Windows box and Samba
>box, but with different passwords -- and have the samba share automatically
>remapped when the user logs into the Windows box without having to re-type the
>password each time (i.e. log into the Windows box, connect to the share with
>the username and different password, create a drive mapping and choose the
>"remember password" option, and have it "just work" next time the user logs
>back into the Windows box using their Windows/domain password.

You can do this with windows xp.  From the control panel click on User
Accounts.  Chose a user.  In the related task box there is an option
called "Manage my network passwords".  From this box you can setup
arbitrary server/username/password combinations.

I don't know of another way to this menu, but I'm sure there are.  Its
the "Stored Username and Passwords" manager.  A quick google finds
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287536

--
Steven Kurylo