[Samba] 'logon drive' questions

flinchlock fst6x7v02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:01:38 GMT 2004

I would like to ask "the list" to help me understand three Samba
settings: 'logon path', 'logon drive', and 'logon home'.

Please see my question at the bottom of this post. THANKS!

My settings are:
	.
	.
	.
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u\%m
	logon drive = H:
	logon home = \\%L\%u\.win_profiles\%m

[profiles]
	path = /home/samba/nt_profiles
	read only = No
	create mask = 0600
	directory mask = 0700
	browseable = No

[homes]
	comment = %u's Home Directory
	valid users = %S
	read only = No
	create mask = 0640
	directory mask = 0750
	hide dot files = No
	veto files = /.*/Documents/public_html/
	browseable = No

On my XP Pro client, when I click on "Command Prompt", I get a "dos"
window that displays the prompt as: "C:\Documents and
Settings\testuser".

This happens, because the properties for the "Command Prompt" have
this setting in the "Start in" box: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

According to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;100843 ...

[quote]
   HOMEPATH
   HOMEDRIVE
   HOMESHARE

These three environment variables are set based on the value of the
home directory. The user's home directory is specified in User
Manager (Choose Profile and Properties). If the home directory uses
universal naming conventions (UNC), then they will have the
following values:

HOMEDRIVE=<drive letter>:

If the home directory is a local path such as c:\nt then they will
look like this:

HOMEDRIVE=c: HOMESHARE= HOMEPATH=\nt
[/quote]

MY variables are set like this:
C:> set | find "HOME"
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\testuser

When I run USRMGR.EXE (User manager for Domains), I can see the two
users listed in /etc/samba/smbpasswd (just as it should be).

When I double-click on "testuser" (to open the Properties window), I
can now click on the "Profile" button to see the two other boxes:

"User Profiles"
  User Profile path: \\mutt\profiles\testuser\lapdog
  Logon Script Name: logon.bat

"Home Directory"
  Local Path:
  Connect H: to \\mutt\testuser\.win_profiles\lapdog

Remember the Microsoft Q100383 article says, "If the home directory
uses universal naming conventions (UNC), then they will have the
following values:

HOMESHARE=\\<server name>\<share name>
HOMEPATH=\<path>
HOMEDRIVE=<drive letter>:"

So, this indicates the Samba is not working correctly regarding
these these variables!

QUESTION: Can some of you please click on your "Command Prompt" and
see if you get H: or C:\Documents and Settings\youruser?

THANKS!

--
SuSE 9.0 Pro (2.4.21-192-default) and samba-2.2.8a-107