[Samba] 'logon drive' questions

flinchlock fst6x7v02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:37:44 GMT 2004

Quoting "John H Terpstra"

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, flinchlock wrote:
>
> > Later, I changed 'logon path' to \\%L\profiles\%U\%m
> >
> > When 'logon path' is \\%L\%U\.msprofile and I click on
> "Command
> > Prompt", I get a command window that says: H:\
> >
> > When 'logon path' is \\%L\profiles\%U\%m" and I I click on
> "Command
> > Prompt", I get a command window that says: C:\Documents and
> > Settings\flichlock
>
> Do you have a directory on the logon server under the share
> called
> "profiles" called ./flinchlock/'machine_name' ?

YES... I have checked all directory ownership/permissions a zillion
times.

I have only tried those two different settings for 'logon path' on
my XP laptop.

I THINK the "problem" has something todo with the fact? that XP will
shorten the 'logon path' from \\%L\%U\.msprofile to just \\%L\%U,
and then, that will match the home directory field in /etc/passwd.
So, it (Samba) changes or passes info to XP that causes the three
DOS variables to be set differently.

And, the properties on the "Command Prompt" link in XP has
'%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%' in the "Start in" properties field.  So,
that is why the different results.

These variables are set when 'logon path' = \\%L\%U\.msprofile
HOMEDRIVE=H:
HOMEPATH=\
HOMESHARE=\\mutt\flinchlock

These variables are set when 'logon path' = \\%L\profiles\%U\%m
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\flinchlock