[Samba] NetBIOS Nameresolution

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Feb 24 07:54:05 GMT 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 gerd at bugri.com wrote:

> I have installed a new Win 2003 Applicationserver in a Network with Samba
> 2.2.1a as PDC. Some clients are not able connect to the Server by entering
> "\\s-003" into Explorer. When i sniff the Network i can see that NetBIOS
> Name Resolution doesn't work properly. They get as a response to a name
> querry to the PDC a wrong Ip-Address back!!
> Does anybody know how this can happen and where Samba gets the information
> about NetBIOS names and the corresponding IP-Address from?
> Looking forward to any hints, Gerd

First, I strongly recommend that you update the Samba server to version
3.0.2a. Reasons are: Security (2.2.1 is very old and has issues),
Compatibility with Windows Server 2003.

Second, Are you running WINS on your Samba PDC? Is your Windows Server
2003 configured with the IP Address of your WINS server in it's TCP/IP
configuration?

You will need to identify how your Windows server is resolving the name to
the IP address it is arriving at. The best tool you can use to debug this
is ethereal. See http://www.ethereal.com.

You might also refer to chapter 10 of the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf (see:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf - also
available from Amazon.Com as the book "The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and
Reference Guide").

For the rest we can speculate about your problem, but that may not help
you.

Cheers,
John T.
--