[Samba] Complete format-description of smbpasswd?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Feb 24 07:47:47 GMT 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, TeeCee wrote:

> Hi John and Thank You for Your answer,
>
> JHT> See the Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf for documentation on the password file
> JHT> flags.
>
> but I did not found anything about the account flags :(
> I've downloaded the PDF and searched ('smbpasswd', 'password flag',
> '[UX') and also tried searching the net.

Well, it is in there! It's in Table 11.1 and unfortunately the information
you need is off the right of the page in the entry SambaAcctFlags. It is
however clearly visible in the HTML form of the document.

> PLease tell me waht does the X account flag mean?

Go to:
	 http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/passdb.html

Search for Table 11.1.

The X means:

String of 11 characters surrounded by square brackets [] representing
account flags such as U (user), W (workstation), X (no password
expiration), I (Domain trust account), H (Home dir required), S (Server
trust account), and D (disabled).

> JHT> The truth is out there somewhere! :)
>
> But where? :-\

Ah, you did not search hard enough! :)

> JHT> Cheers,
> JHT> John T.
>
> Awaiting Your Answers, Thank You:

Well, in all fairness - it was a challenge for me to find it too.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org