[Samba] Re: samba problems after IP change

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Feb 23 18:27:10 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 11:03, Will Parsons wrote:

> Thanks to a response by private e-mail, I now have this working.  Part of
> the problem was that the netmasks were not the same on the QNX and the
> WinNT machines.  Fixing this allowed the samba shares to be seen by
> Windows.  However, smbclient still was unable to connect, I think because
> the although the QNX machine and my local WinNT machine were on the same
> subnet, the shared drive was still on the old subnet.  Adding a "wins
> server =" line the smb.conf then fixed the problem.
>
> One more question - I found a WINS server by running "net view" on the
> Window machine and noticing that one of the servers had a "remark"
> containing the string "Backup WINS".  (There is nothing listed for WINS
> server in the TCP/IP Properties.)  Is there a better of determining WINS
> servers?
---
It's probably a good idea to have 1 but only 1 wins server on any
subnet. There are remote browse/remote announce directives in smb.conf
for communicating in additional subnets. Wins support = yes/true makes
the specific smb server a wins server and all other windows machines
should have the ip address for that specific smb server listed in the
WINS Server tab in TCP/IP properties (advanced). Any other samba servers
should have wins server = ip_address_of_wins_server as a directive.

Wins resolution is capable of finding the wins server without these
specific addresses within a subnet but that will require that the
machines aren't blocking broadcasts (firewall/packet filtering) and it's
going to be slower to locate the wins server and of course, generates
more network traffic.

Craig