[Samba] Passing a password to smbpasswd in a script

Bill Ing wing at qenesis.com
Mon Feb 23 16:37:57 GMT 2004

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to shell scripting and trying to hack togeter a script to
facilitate the creation of unix users as well as samba users.  I'm using
tdbsam so the -w switch on smbpasswd doesn't seem to work nor apply.

Using " echo $PASSWORD | pw useradd -n $USERNAME -h 0 ", I can setup a
user and their password in one line.  Pw useradd -h 0 only prompts once
for a password.

If I do " echo $ PASSWORD | smbpasswd -a $USERNAME ", I'm still getting
the usual double prompt that smbpasswd asks.  I've also fiddled around
with pdbedit but with the same results.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks.