[Samba] Samba password file generation and sync

Maxwell Bottiger sleepylight at jive-turkey.net
Mon Feb 23 03:15:23 GMT 2004

Hi,
	I have a solaris 8 server.  Right now it's configured to allow
linux clients to connect to it via NIS and NFS.  I also need to set up
access to the server for Win 2k clients via Samba.  (I have expierence
setting up Samba on a smaller scale)
	My problem is that right now the server is set up with all the NIS
(or yp if you prefer) passwords stored in /usr/local/etc/passwd.  Most of
these passwords do not exhist in /etc/passwd.  All my passwords are
encrypted with SHA1. (if I remember correctly, not with MD5 Shadow like
most linux distros use)
	I need a mechanism to convert or share the current password file
with samba's private/smbpasswd file.  Either I need to convert it and then
use a utility to keep it sync'd with the UNIX NIS password file, or I need
to have the two systems share a password file.
	Does anyone have any sugestions on how to go about doing this?

--
-Maxwell Bottiger
http://www.jive-turkey.net