[Samba] Can someone verify my checklist?

PHELPS, SCOTT SPHELPS at ridgways.com
Sun Feb 22 22:43:09 GMT 2004

Hi guys,

Here's what I'm doing:
Upgrading fro Samba 2.2.8a to Samba 3.0.2a
Simultaneously migrating to a new server.

My checklist:   << (*)=done , (-) = remaining >>
* Download and install Samba 3.0.2a on the new server
* Clone (by hand) hostname, sldapd, nssswitch
* Hand edit new smb.conf to match the old config.
* Export ldif file from old LDAP db
* Dump old Domain SID using smbpassword -X
* Convert ldif using "ConvertSambaAccount --sid "
* Start new LDAP server and import new ldif file.
- Stop old server and copy all home directories to new server.
- Start new Samba Server and test..

I am hoping that cloning the SID and keeping the same server name that
my 65 Windows clients will not know the difference and everything will
be transparent.  I definitely want to avoid new profile creation, you
know?  Can anyone confirm that I have not forgotten anything?

Thanks in advance..

--
Scott Phelps

Linux: "$ su - root"  -->  Windows: (reboot)

--
Scott Phelps
Regional IT Manager

---
Linux: "$ su - root"  -->  Windows: (reboot)