[Samba] Recycle module permissions - a workaround

Fabio Muzzi liste at kurgan.org
Sun Feb 22 22:08:29 GMT 2004

  I   have  just  found  a  simple (yet not so elegant) workaround for the
  recycle  VFS  module  permissions  issue.  Recycled  directory is always
  created  with a 0700 permission, not allowing the use of the recycle bin
  in a share that should be group-writeable.

  The simple workaround is to set "individual" recycle bins, by setting

  recycle:repository=.recycle.%u

  this  makes  samba  create  a repository named ".recycle.<username>" for
  every user. Every repository has 0700 permissions, so other users cannot
  access  it, but the user who deleted the file can always recover it, and
  this  has  the  side  effect of letting the administrator (and the users
  too) be aware of who deleted a file.

  Also,  a  user  can  simply  browse  "the  files  I have deleted" in its
  personal  bin, as opposed to a common bin with hundreds of deleted files
  all together.

--

  Fabio "Kurgan" Muzzi