[Samba] About BDC

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Feb 20 19:57:09 GMT 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Loc Nguyen wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> First let me give something about my network
> structure
>
> 192.168.4.0-->192.168.4.3(BDC)
> |
> VPN GATEWAY
> |
> Internet
> |
> VPN
> GATEWAY
> |
> 192.168.5.0-->192.168.5.3 (PDC)
>
> Right now I'm having
> 192.168.5.3(SAMBA+LDAP PDC) and WINS server, and I want to build a BDC
> (192.168.4.3) on the other side of the VPN.
>
> my questions are:
> 1. is it
> possible?

Yes.

> 2. is BDC needs to be setup as a WINS server as well?

No. You should use your central WINS server.

> 3. when one of the gateway down or internet connection going down, can each side
> of the VPN talk to PDC or BDC?

Yes - so long as your routing is set up correctly.

> 4. if one of the Domain Controler is down, can the whole network talk to
> the remainder?

Sure - so long as one is up your ok for continued operation.

> 5. What need to setup on each side

I've fully documented this in my new book "Samba-3 by Example" that can be
pre-ordered on Amazon.Com.

> It could be great if a communication flow diagram is given
> in normal

It is in the book.

> Any experience in setting a BDC is appreciated.

Works fine. Fully documented in the book.

Apologies for being so commercial.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra