[Samba] Bought the book still lost

Gary Hostetler whostet at nccvt.k12.de.us
Thu Feb 19 22:25:31 GMT 2004

It is version 3.02.

thanks
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Bartlett [mailto:abartlet at samba.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 4:33 PM
To: Gary Hostetler
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] Bought the book still lost

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 06:15, Gary Hostetler wrote:
> I bought the official Samba 3 book. Simple question. I only want to use
> samba for authentication for my squid users so I can track which students
> are hogging the T1 line.
>
> 1. Do I need kerberos on my linux box to make this work with active
> directory and will I need to compile Samba to include the active directory
> support (we are a w2k Active Directory network)
>
> 2. When I try to add the linux box to the domain it gives me wrong
password
> even though the user is a domain admin.

You don't mention what version of Samba you are using.  Nor do you
include the exact error string.

If the error is litrarly 'NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD', then an upgrade to
Samba 3.0.2a is probably your best bet.  If you still have trouble, I'll
need a *lot* of details on your exact setup (logfiles particularly), to
determine what NTLMSSP variant you negotiated, and why the session key
calculations are incorrect.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org