[Samba] Location of SID in Samba 2.2.7a

flinchlock fst6x7v02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Feb 19 21:34:22 GMT 2004

> These servers do not appear to have a MACHINE.SID file on them,
> my research
> into the topic has also turned up that the secrets.tdb file holds
> the SID.
>
> Would it be sufficient to copy this file from the old server to
> the new  server?

I have no clue on how to help you, but I did find three programs in
/usr/lib/samba: tdbdump, tdbtest, tdbtool

I tried this...

/usr/lib/samba/tdbtool  /etc/samba/secrets.tdb
tdb> ?

 tdbtool:
   create    dbname     : create a database
   open      dbname     : open an existing database
   erase                : erase the database
   dump                 : dump the database as strings
   insert    key  data  : insert a record
   store     key  data  : store a record (replace)
   show      key        : show a record by key
   delete    key        : delete a record by key
   list                 : print the database hash table and
freelist
   free                 : print the database freelist
   1 | first            : print the first record
   n | next             : print the next record
   q | quit             : terminate
   \n                   : repeat 'next' command
 tdb> q

GOOD LUCK!

P.S.  I'm running 2.2.8a