[Samba] Bought the book still lost

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Feb 19 21:21:30 GMT 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Gary Hostetler wrote:

> I bought the official Samba 3 book. Simple question. I only want to use
> samba for authentication for my squid users so I can track which students
> are hogging the T1 line.

Check out:
	http://www.siriusit.co.uk/documents/isa.html

Apply for the HOWTO. It will give you the specific information you need to
replace ISA with SQUID.

> 1. Do I need kerberos on my linux box to make this work with active
> directory and will I need to compile Samba to include the active directory
> support (we are a w2k Active Directory network)

Yes.

> 2. When I try to add the linux box to the domain it gives me wrong password
> even though the user is a domain admin.

That means someting is broken.

> Thanks, I did buy the book but I still need help.

The author of the ISA replacement info is Mark Taylor. Provision of
services to replace ISA is his professional paid for work. Mark has
written this guidance which I have included in Chapter 11 of "Samba-3 by
Example" - due out March 26th.

The above link should furnish what you are looking for. If you are still
stuck after following that link let me know and I will help you.

Cheers,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra