[Samba] System error 66 has occured

flinchlock fst6x7v02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Feb 19 20:25:23 GMT 2004

I have been setting up a PDC with one XP client.  After about three
weeks of smb.conf changes, I understand/like my settings, and it
*was* working great.

(I've read a zillion times both O'Reilly "Using Samba" books (1st
and 2nd editions), and John Blair's (Samba Team) "Samba Integrating
UNIX and Windows" book.)

This morning I decided to rebuld the XP client since I had logged in
as about 10 different users... I just wanted a clean system.

I deleted/verified all the usual SuSE files to remove the client:
/etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group, /etc/samba/smbpasswd

I then recreated the machine account:
groupadd machines
useradd -g machines -d /dev/null -s /bin/false izzy$
smbpasswd -a -m izzy
smbpasswd -a root
useradd -s /bin/false -m testuser
passwd testuser
smbpasswd -a testuser

After the XP reload, I was able to join the domain and login just
fine.

BUT now, when I "net use H: /home" I get this error message:
"System error 66 has occured. The network resource type is not
correct."

According to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/system_error_codes__0-499_.asp
the "66" error is "ERROR_BAD_DEV_TYPE".

I don't have a clue what is wrong?

--
SuSE 9.0 Pro (2.4.21-166-default) with samba-2.2.8a-107