[Samba] A bit OT: LDAP and AD interoperability with LDAP as master

Michael Bartosh mbartosh at mac.com
Thu Feb 19 07:39:58 GMT 2004

At 6:11 PM +0100 2/17/04, Adrian Gschwend wrote:
>Setting up the Linux and Solaris clients to use LDAP is not really a
>problem. Connecting AD to LDAP looks much more complicated, after one week
>of testing and experimenting it gets quite annoying ;)

Yeah this is totally OT.

SunONE has a sync tool for AD... there are some other meta directory
products out there. Last I looked, though, OpenLDAP's back-meta
wasn't up to this.

There's no point in religous wars about what's open and what's not.
The point behind LDAP is that the standard is open- Who cares what's
behind it... AD speaks LDAP, and AD makes an OK LDAP server for Unix
hosts. If you have to support a lot of windows clients, it's the best
choice right now, until someone comes up with a replacement.

--

http://www.4am-media.com
Mac OS X Consulting and Training
mbartosh at 4am-media.com
303.517.0272
Denver, CO

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
regard those who think alike than those who think differently."

- -- Nietzsche

			Think Different.