[Samba] [Old] Clients cannot login into Samba-Domain

Stumpfl Markus htl.traun.kustos at eduhi.at
Wed Feb 18 12:26:56 GMT 2004

I had a working "Samba-2.2.7a-SuSE" domain (with roaming profiles,etc.)
but this server crashed. So I copied the samba directory with the config
files (including secrets.tdb, passwd, ...) from my backup to the second
server and started nmb and smb, but the Clients could'nt log onto the
domain. The error was something like: "You couldn't log on. Please check
username and domain and try to reenter the password"
So I tried "Samba3.0.2a-SuSE", changed the config somewhat and started
the deamon but no luck either.

What's working:
	- connecting to the shares of the samba server (using usr/pwd)
	- re-insert the PC into the domain
		=> domain logon is working again

So I figured this must be a SID problem. Like domain-SID != machine-SID.
To test, whether this is the problem, I used the following commands but
the SID was always the same:
	net getlocalsid ,domain'

	net rpc getsid

	rpclient ,server' -U ,user'
      lsaquery

	pdbedit -Lv ,user'

For Windows I downloaded the program "getsid", which compares two
account-SIDs.
	getsid \\server 'user-account' \\server 'machine-account'

-> with that I checked, if the PC SID was the same as an User SID ->
true

 - that includes the configs and SIDs
 - same SID everywhere (at least the ones I could figure out)
 - domain logon only functioning, after REJOINING the domain

Now, I could of course go to every PC and rejoin the domain, but that's
not very funny nor productive.
So what do I have to change on the server to allow the existing PCs to
login?

mfg. Stumpfl Markus
mail: htl.traun.kustos at eduhi.at