[Samba] %U doesn't replaced in smb.conf

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Feb 18 00:32:03 GMT 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, TeeCee wrote:

> Hi! :o)
>
> I've got an Debian linux running on an Alpha machine.I had a Celeron
> II before, with Samba 2.2.6. I've made the change to Samba 3.0.0 and
> then I've just upgraded to 3.0.2a tonight. In the old smb.conf I've
> had a line "include = /etc/samba/configs/%U.conf" that was good in the
> old state, but with the new it doesn't work. I find out that the samba
> does not replace the %U in the include line (just before the include
> I've got a logon script = %U.bat and that's working! ). The error
> says: "/etc/samba/configs/.conf does not exists".
> I've found some words about this problem searching on the net, but I was not able to
> correct or even understand the problem. Can anyone help?

That sounds like a bug. Please file a bug report on
https://bugzilla.samba.org/

Bug reports are the only way to get issues resolved.

> I have another crazy bug-or-something! With the first server and the
> samba 2.2.6 we created (in the company I work) some folders with
> pretty long names (and even accented ones :) With the new server ALL
> (!) of the Win98SEs die with bluescreen or reset the PC if some of
> these directories are opened. What should I check? What logging
> paramteres should I make a log for someone, who can help?
> The problem is the length of the names for sure (max length around 80 chars),
> because if I rename the long ones to 3 chars I can enter the
> directory, and I can open tham, and everything is good.

Again, document how we can reproduce the problem and file a bug report per
the above. That is how you can get attention as soon as one of the
developers has bandwidth to deal with it.

Cheers,
john T.
--
John H Terpstra