[Samba] Solaris ACLs, the mask parameter on directories disappears

David Pullman dpullman at cme.nist.gov
Tue Feb 17 22:09:53 GMT 2004

I'm testing SAMBA 3.0.2 on a Solaris 9 box with a UFS file system.

The ACLs appear to be working well with the security tab, etc.  However,
once a permission setting has been made from a security tab on a
directory, the mask and default mask parameters no longer appear in a
getfacl.  In addition, the #effective permission is incorrect.  Has
anyone seen this?  I searched the archives and I can't seem to find an
mention of it.

The smb.conf is quite simple, its a test machine.  I can reply with it
if necessary.

Here's an example:

I've made the directory and shared it:
# getfacl /samba/export/testshare2

# file: /samba/export/testshare2
# owner: dpullman
# group: melsaunx
user::rwx
group::r-x              #effective:r-x
mask:r-x
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:mask:r-x
default:other:r-x

Now I've gone to the share and changed the group and default group perms
from an XP security tab:
# getfacl /samba/export/testshare2

# file: /samba/export/testshare2
# owner: dpullman
# group: melsaunx
user::rwx
group::rwx              #effective:r--
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:other:r-x

Note that mask and default:mask are gone.  The perms for group and the
default group work as listed, but not as the #effective entry shows,
which is how it normally does.

This is a case of everything is working, but it looks funny under the
covers :)  Makes one a bit nervous.

--
David Pullman
NIST - Gaithersburg