[Samba] PRINTING FROM LINUX CLIENTS TO LINUX PRINTER SERVER WITH SAMBA

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Tue Feb 17 16:13:38 GMT 2004

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that the message
flood was an accident, and the annoying 'loud' subject line is just
ignorance of netiquette.

Your question is more appropriate to cups than to Samba.

Use smbclient print <filename> to send a file to a remote printer.
However, the file has to be in a language your printer understands if
your sending to a RAW queue.  (Postscript should work well if you are
sending to a printer queue configured by CUPS with a driver for your
printer.)

If you have a GUI enviroment with KDE installed, try using kprinter as
a frontend to cups.  That's the best Linux printing solution I've
found for Linux Desktops.

Failing that, make sure you read the CUPS documentation,
(http://localhost:631) and the printing documents in the Samba howto
collection.

And lastly, if these two computers are on the same LAN, configure cups
on the server to broadcast and accept connections remotely, and let
CUPS take care of the network sharing.  Again, refer to the CUPS
documentation.  CUPS's implementation of IPP (Internet Printing
Protocol) makes Windoze printer sharing look like a dinossaur left
over from the early 80's.  (Oh wait... that's about right, isn't it?)