[Samba] PRINTING FROM LINUX CLIENTS TO LINUX PRINTER SERVER WITH SAMBA

zynkx skydive at megamail.pt
Tue Feb 17 15:00:15 GMT 2004

hi all and thanks in advance for reading this

i have worked with samba for a while, sharing drives on
 my linux boxes and all went well until now.

now, i tried to share a printer.

1 i setup a printer in a box with cups. the printer is
working fine in that host printing everything as it is
told.

2 i tried to share the printer to:
             2.1 one windows wrokstation in the lan
             2.2 two linux boxes on the lan

with the following config file:
[global]
   workgroup = PRINTSERVER
   netbios name = NEPTUN
   server string = neptun print server
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = share
   encrypt passwords = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
   printcap name = lpstat
   printing = cups
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   printer = hp_670C
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   create mode = 0700
   print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r
   lpq command = lpstat -o %p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j
   use client driver = yes

i then made the client configuration on the windows
workstation, and windows is printing well to my linux
printing server with samba. it shares drives and the
printer without any kind of problem.

the problem is that i cannot print form my linux boxes
to that shared printer...

on linux boxes i made the following

1 configured one printer queue with cups linking the
smbspool to /usr/lib/cups/backend/

ln -s /usr/bin/smbspool /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

2 loaded the driver for hp 670c in cups

3 tried to print a test page and i did it successfully

now... the only thing is that i am only able to print
test pages... and i can't figure out the command line
options to print from my linux print clients to my
linux print server...

windows is doing fine though.

other thing is that when I:

smbclient //neptun/printers

i can mount the share but it does not print.