[Samba] Security warning with XP clients and 3.0.2a PDC

Paul paul at sumlock.com
Tue Feb 17 09:50:13 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I hope I don't make a prat of myself with my first posting...

I've got a 'niggle' with Windows XP Pro (SP1a) clients and 3.0.2a PDC
(Slackware 9.1, 2.4.22).  Joing a domain, logging on etc is working
perfectly but I'm getting a 'File Download' security warning when I try and
open an executable that's stored on the server. If I agree to open the file
it runs without a problem.

I had this problem with 3.0.1 but upgraded as a precaution.  I have not
experienced this with Windows 2K clients.

I've uploaded a screenshot of the error : http://www.sumlock.com/warning.jpg
smb.conf is attached (please feel free to criticise :-) )

I've been Googling and i've tried altering 'server schannel' but i can't
stop the warning appearing.

Any suggestions for things to try (or even a guaranteed solution ;-) ) would
be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Roegele
Service Manager
Sumlock Bondain (EA) Ltd

--- smb.conf ---
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2004/02/11 10:12:11

# Global parameters
[global]
 workgroup = CTSLTD

 passdb backend = tdbsam
 passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 max log size = 50

 server signing = no
 server schannel = yes

 socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

 printcap name = cups

 add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g domainusers -d /home/%u -s
/bin/false -m %u
 delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
 add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
 delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
 add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g sambamachines -d /dev/null -s
/bin/false %u

 logon script = start.bat
 logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U

 domain logons = Yes