[Samba] Winbind issue

Jason Gray jgray at bardelanimation.com
Tue Feb 17 00:28:57 GMT 2004

I have 3 Linux rh9.0 servers on the network all using Samba/LDAP to
authenticate.  One is acting as the PDC and the other two are domain
members.  On one server I don't have winbind running and everything works
great, however, on the other server, if I turn off the winbind I get a
password prompt and cannot access the server.  I have no need for winbind
but I'm forced to keep it on.

I'm using the PAM/NSS method to authenticate through the ldap server.  I
have the nsswitch set properly, all the library files are in the security
folder and the login file in pam.d has all the necessary references, so I
don't think it's related to LDAP.  I am getting this error:

make_server_info_info3: pdb_init_sam failed!

but it seems to be related to winbind itself.  How can I remove this systems
need to use winbind?

Cheers,

Jason