[Samba] Newbie, Win2K config, fails on test 8 (long)

Maitland Lederer mlederer at foster-miller.com
Mon Feb 16 18:37:08 GMT 2004

Hi.  I'm not a sysadmin, but I'm the only person in this building who
knows anything about linux boxes.  I'm trying to install samba to
connect the box (rh7.3) to the windows network.  test 8 is where I run
into problems.  My username and passwd are the same for both.  My
firewall is down.  I have appended my .conf file.

I've been searching around through the archives and elsewhere, but with
no luck.  If anybody has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
-maitland

*TEST 8:*
>net view \\sensorlabwrkst
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

>net view \\172.17.5.144

Samba 2.2.3a

Share name   Type         Used as  Comment

-------
tmp          Disk                  test share for maitland
The command completed successfully.

*TEST 9:*
>net use x: \\172.17.5.144\tmp
The password is invalid for \\172.17.5.144\tmp.

Type the password for \\172.17.5.144\tmp:
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

*TEST 10:*
$ nmblookup -M FOSTER-MILLER
querying FOSTER-MILLER on 172.17.5.255
172.17.5.17 FOSTER-MILLER<1d>

*Smb.conf:*
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from b5pc-mlederer.foster-miller.com (172.17.5.51)
# Date: 2004/02/16 12:49:18

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = FOSTER-MILLER