[Samba] Changing permissions not being "root" or owner

Joerg Redemann joerg.redemann at sabre-merlin.de
Mon Feb 16 17:00:23 GMT 2004

Hi all,

got the following problem:
I'm trying to set up a samba share and want the allowed group to
administrate the file and directory permissions on their own.
Goal is that everyone in the group can decide via NT security box who - from
outside the group - should have read or write permissions
on a specific file. I'm using ACL's and everything except this is working
fine.

Problem is that only the owner of that file or root is able to change the
permissions.
man smb.conf tells me that I have to use "dos filemode = yes" to allow users
with write access to do this job.
But this doesn't work. I don't now how many "mode = xxxx" combiniations I
tried - nothing helped.

Here is my current config:

[global]
        workgroup = DCSHH
        netbios name = fileserver
        server string = File Server
        security = domain
        password server = *
        winbind uid = 10000-20000
        winbind separator = +
        winbind gid = 10000-20000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        template shell = /bin/false
        add user script = /usr/local/bin/add_samba_user %u
        unix extensions = Yes
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log level = 0
        nt acl support = Yes
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        wins support = No
        veto files = /.AppleDouble/lost+found/aquota.user/aquota.group

[testshare]
    comment = Test share
    path = /shares/test
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    dos filemode = yes
    write list = @DCSHH+Domain-User

ls -l /shares/test
drwxrwxr-x    2 DCSHH+Administrator DCSHH+Domain-User     4096 Feb 16 15:47
test

And an example file in "/shares/test":
ls -l
-rw-rw----+   1 DCSHH+silke DCSHH+Domain-User      105 Feb 16 13:55
testfile3.txt

So as User "DCSHH+alex" (member of DCSHH+Domain-User) I should be able to
modify the permissions of that file !

Can anyone give me a clue why "dos filemode = yes" isn't working as expected
???

Many thanks in advance

Joerg