[Samba] Sync win2k local user list with samba user list

Paul Espinosa samba at ericius.com
Sun Feb 15 02:04:12 GMT 2004

.----[ John H Terpstra wrote ]----

> Sun, 15 Feb 2004 01:36:08 +0000 (GMT)
>
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 et at chaossphere.net wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to be able to at logon sync the windows 2000 userlist with the
> > samba user list, so that each user that is added to the samba server is
> > automatically added to each workstation with appropriate permisions ie
> > admin, power users, etc. Is it possible to do this and if so how.
> > I am running latest samba as PDC with roaming profiles.
>
> Why in goodness name would you want to add accounts to workstations that
> already exist on the server? The whole purpose of having domain accounts
> is so that you do not need user accounts on the individual workstations.
>
> Baffled! ????

I think what's he's saying is adding a local domain user to a box in order
to upgrade permissions.  In other words have "Bob" have a domain logon, but
also be able to be a local admin for the Windows box.

> > Any help is greatly appreciated
>
> Avoid pain! Do NOT have local workstation accounts. Instead, use domain
> accounts.
>

> - John T.

I would also like to know if this is possible as there is a lot of software
out there that still requires elevated privs to run on Windows boxen.

Paul Espinosa

--
"They that would give up freedom to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither freedom nor safety"

	--Benjamin Franklin