[Samba] PDC+BDC+Filereplication_How?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 14 21:30:42 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 00:29, Gémes Géza wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for this general question, but I'd like to hear your opinion on
> this subject, but I'd like to set up a really working backup solution
> for my PDC, currently it uses NFS, so there are lots of issues: No ACLs,
> When NFS server goes down, everything fails.
> What method would you recommend for replicating folders, keeping
> existing ACLs (ability of manipulating that ACLs from Windows is not
> important) between Samba PDC-BDCs:
> - -Rsync+FAM based scripts

For things that should be static, but replicated (such as the netlogon
share), this sounds like the right solution.

> or
> - -Distributed filesystems:
> 		-Coda
> 		-Intermezzo
> 	etc.
>
> Thank you for ANY answer.

You cannot safely replicate files between two CIFS servers, unless you
also manage the locks and share modes.  A BDC is not a mirror of a PDC,
for file shares, only for the logon database.  Clustered CIFS is *hard*,
see recent discussions on samba-technical.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net