[Samba] Porting To Windows

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 14 04:35:35 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 13:42, David Braginsky wrote:
> I've seen this question asked before, but usually dismissed....
>
> I was wondering how difficult it would be to port SAMBA to Windows,
> using Cygwin or preferably MINGW.
>
> The main reason I would like to see this happen is that it would
> significantly simplify filesystem development on Windows. Currently,
> the only way to develop filesystems for windows is by writing a kernel
> driver, or buying a $100k development kit. A basic port of SAMBA would
> allow development of user-space filesystems, with neither the Windows
> IFS license, or experience with Windows kernel development.
>
> I would love to hear suggestions as to the best way to do this port,
> or better yet, that someone has already done it!

You could do this on Samba4, as that will allow you to implement a full
NTFS semantic-compliant filesystem.  Issues you will hit are the same
issues that people hit with SSH-forwarding of CIFS, but it can work (the
AFS client for Win2k is a small CIFS sever on localhost).

But the IFS kit isn't the biggest problem, as people seem to have got
around it by creating a public IFS header file:

http://www.tuningsoft.com/resources/resources.htm
Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net