[Samba] Excel 2002, Samba 3.0.2, and "Overwriting Changes"

Bryan K. Walton bryanw at weccusa.org
Fri Feb 13 20:12:15 GMT 2004

About two weeks ago on this list, someone posted a problem involving
Excel 2002 (from Office XP) and excel files stored on Samba shares.
Specifically (from that prior posting):

"If a user opens a excel document kept on a samba share
and the user makes edits to the file and tries to saves the file
he/she is prompted that the file was edited by another user even
though the file was never touched by anyone and if they want to
overwrite to the file."

Someone replied that he should update to the latest Samba.  I am
having this same problem.  However, I am running Samba 3.0.2.  The
error message my users are getting is specifically:

"The file "<insert .xls file here>" may have been changed by another
user since you last save it.  In that case, what do you want to do?"
You are then given the option to save a copy, or to overwrite changes.
Again, I am already running Samba 3.0.2.  Is anybody else having this
problem?  Is there a patch/fix for this?

Thanks!
Bryan Walton