[Samba] Re: hardware question

Jason Balicki kodak at frontierhomemortgage.com
Fri Feb 13 18:48:31 GMT 2004

>Is it hard to implement more than one ethernetcard? I'm only
>used to one
>or maybe two (if the system is router). But I've never used more than
>one ethernet device for the same machine on the same network...

It's not difficult, (this isn't really a samba question, though)
but it depends on a few things.  What OS are you using?  What do
you want to do with those two network cards?  I'm going to assume
you're wanting to do channel bonding (combining two or more cards
into a single logical card).

In order to do that you must have: 1) OS support (most modern unixes
have it) and 2) hardware support on your switch (most modern _managed_
switches have it, but they call it different things.  It was recently
standardized, but I forget what it's called and I'm too lazy to
look it up. :)

In Linux, for example, you would combine eth0, eth1 (and more, if
desired) into a "virtual" interface, bond0.  Then everything uses
bond0 for the link.

HTH,  if you want more detail, just ask.

--J(K)