[Samba] upgrade 3.0.1 -> 3.0.2, problem with homes-share

Hannu Tikka hannu.tikka at rpkk.fi
Fri Feb 13 13:18:51 GMT 2004

> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 22:30, Hannu Tikka wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> We are using Samba 3 in SuSE-linux 8.2 with ldap.
>> After upgrading from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 we got following problem:
>>
>> When users log-in homes-share is not allways reachable, so automatic
>> homedrive-mapping and roaming profiles doesn't work.  This doesn't
>> happen
>> everytime, but quite often.
>> And after login users can map their homedrives manually.
>>
>> Users have following attributes in LDAP directory:
>>
>> sambaHomePath: \\server\homes
>> sambaProfilePath: \\server\homes\profile
>>
>> When I change users attributes to
>>
>> sambaHomePath: \\server\username
>> sambaProfilePath: \\server\username\profile
>>
>> The problem disappears.
>>
>> So it must be the homes-share problem. All the workstations have
>> win2000sp4.
>
> For locking and other reasons, this change is strongly encouraged.
>
> You did not show us your smb.conf, to understand what particular
> fun&games you might be playing that would trigger this change in
> behaviour.
>
> I will note however that in 3.0.2, if you have a share named [username],
> then [homes] will no longer automatically be an alias for it.

Thanks for a quick answer :)
Ok, I'll do the change.

Here is smb.conf, we dont have shares named as [username]

[global]
        workgroup = OURS
        interfaces = eth*, lo
        map to guest = Bad User
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldaps://ldapserver, guest
        log level = 0
        syslog = 0
        name resolve order = wins host lmhosts bcast
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        printcap name = CUPS
        add user script = ldapsmb -a -s -u "%u"
        delete user script = ldapsmb -d -u "%u"
        add group script = ldapsmb -a -s -g "%g"
        delete group script = ldapsmb -d -g "%g"
        add user to group script = ldapsmb -j -u "%u" -g "%g"
        delete user from group script = ldapsmb -j -u "%u" -g "%g"
#       add machine script = ldapsmb -a -w "%u"
        add machine script = smbldap-useradd.pl -a -w "%u"
        logon script = logon.cmd
        logon path =
        logon home =
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        ldap suffix = xxxx
        ldap machine suffix = ou=wkst
        ldap user suffix = ou=usrs
        ldap group suffix = ou=grps
        ldap idmap suffix = xxxx
        ldap admin dn = xxx
        hosts allow = xxxx
        printing = cups
        load printers = yes
        veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        client ntlmv2 auth = yes

[netlogon]
        path = /xxxx/netlogon
        write list = xxxx, root
        read only = Yes
        browseable = No
        oplocks = False
        level2 oplocks = False
        recycle:versions = True
        recycle:touch = True
        recycle:keeptree = False
        recycle:exclude = *.tmp|*.temp|*.o|*.obj|*.mp3|~$*
        recycle:exclude_dir = /tmp|/temp|/cache|/.wprofile|/.profile

[homes]
        read only = No
        create mask = 0711
        directory mask = 0711