[Samba] upgrade 3.0.1 -> 3.0.2, problem with homes-share

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 13 12:29:47 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 22:30, Hannu Tikka wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We are using Samba 3 in SuSE-linux 8.2 with ldap.
> After upgrading from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 we got following problem:
>
> When users log-in homes-share is not allways reachable, so automatic
> homedrive-mapping and roaming profiles doesn't work.  This doesn't happen
> everytime, but quite often.
> And after login users can map their homedrives manually.
>
> Users have following attributes in LDAP directory:
>
> sambaHomePath: \\server\homes
> sambaProfilePath: \\server\homes\profile
>
> When I change users attributes to
>
> sambaHomePath: \\server\username
> sambaProfilePath: \\server\username\profile
>
> The problem disappears.
>
> So it must be the homes-share problem. All the workstations have win2000sp4.

For locking and other reasons, this change is strongly encouraged.

You did not show us your smb.conf, to understand what particular
fun&games you might be playing that would trigger this change in
behaviour.

I will note however that in 3.0.2, if you have a share named [username],
then [homes] will no longer automatically be an alias for it.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net