[Samba] Sharing A Windows Printer server printer queues With Linux Machines using samba

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Feb 13 02:01:55 GMT 2004

> Sharing A Windows Printer server printer queues With Linux Machines using samba
> Ihab Khoury ikhoury at yahoo.com
> Thu Feb 12 23:36:17 GMT 2004
>

> UPDATE:-
> I was able to print using smbclient with a username
> and use my PDC server pssword.

You don't exactly describe what configuration you used so you
can't expect an exact answer to your problem. I am not even
suire which Unix printing system your Samba (client) uses....

> Has anyone set it up so that they sync PDC passwords
> with samba passwords? Or any other way so I do not
> have to enter password everytime I print?

No. If you use CUPS, it allows you to print thru an smb
backend device URI of

   smb;//username:password at workgroup/servername/printersharename

It spares you from typing in the username/password pair. But
this is grossly unsecure, It sends your password over the
wire unenecrypted. It stores your username/password combo in
cleartext in "/etc/cups/printers.conf" and may even reveal it i
n the process list (but makes some attempts to leave that part
from the obvious displays....

Samba simply isn't exactly designed to print as a Windows
client to a Windows print server. It works, somehow, but
that's just it.

The idea for Samba is to take the Windows client print jobs
as a *server*....  ;-)

Cheers,
Kurt