[Samba] browsing on samba shares is slow

Torok Szabolcs szabee at home.ro
Thu Feb 12 20:27:48 GMT 2004

Hello All

I  have  a  Samba  2.2.7  on a RedHat9 system installed as a PDC.
Domain  logons  work  fine, I see the linux system in the network
neighborhood,  but the browsing of tha samba shares is very slow,
especially  on  stepping  up  in the directory tree. Usually when
reaching back to the first level of shares, the flashlight/folder
icon  appears  in  windows  explorer,  and  in the top bar of the
window  it  sais  Samba Server (not  responding). After a few
seconds  everything  turns  back to normal. The browsing of other
shares  (Win  XP,  Win  2000)  in the same network is ok, without
timeout.

Below  I  put  a copy of the smb.conf file, maybe somebody has an
ideea.

Thanx, Szabee
[global]
        workgroup = MUN
        server string = Samba server %v
        netbios name = server
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
        interfaces = 192.168.0.254/255.255.255.0
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        unix password sync = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        local master = yes
        os level = 127
        domain master = yes