[Samba] Problem with Samba as PDC

Alexander Goeres agoeres at lieblinx.net
Thu Feb 12 18:20:07 GMT 2004

Am Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2004 18:13 schrieb P-G Fahrbring:
> I've download a PDC guide from IBM's website,
> https://www6.software.ibm.com/dw/education/esdd/samba/?x=50&y=6.
>
> I've follow the description line by line, but I can't join the domain
> from a windows Xp professional computer.
>
> Windows Xp answer with following error message...
> "Can't connect to a domain controller for the domain Fah-Technet"

In my config with  Samba 3.02 I've put
os level = 200
wins support = yes

Last thing is not really necessary (as far as i understood), it makes Samba
the domain's wins server, but it works for me.

I've exerienced similar messages like "can't connect to a domain controller.."
when I installed a Samba PDC and tried to make a w2k client join the domain.
Solution was, to find the 2 other computers hidden somewhere that were
members of a workgroup with the same same as my freshly set up domain.

The w2k client tried to join this workgroup instead of the domain, I think. I
renamed the domain and everything worked (well, nearly everything..).

greetings

Alexander
agoeres _at_ lieblinx.net
tel.: +49 (0)30 / 61 20 26 87