[Samba] 3.0 - Cannot create/update profile directory

Víctor Abeytua vabeytua at dit.upm.es
Thu Feb 12 09:46:09 GMT 2004

Hi everyone,
	I've got a linux machine (Debian & Samba 3.0) as the domain server for
several W2K clients. Whenever a user logs in into any of the clients,
the should receive its roaming profile from the linux server. But
something is not working right. If the user already has a profile
directory, it receives a local copy of the profile from the machine. And
if it is the first time the user logs in, a message appears stating that
the profile doesn't exist and that a local copy will be used. Of course,
any modification done withing both profiles is not reflected upon log
out on the linux server.
	Taking a look at the logs I keep finding this message:

nmbd/nmbd_processlogon.c:process_logon_packet(95)
  process_logon_packet: Logon from 192.168.1.10: code = 0x12

	Finally, on two occasions, the roaming profiles did work once for two
users. And they are the only users with their (old now) profiles stored
in the linux server.

	Here is the smb.conf from the server. User's profiles are stored in
/var/local/samba/profiles.

[global]
   interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24 127.0.0.1
   bind interfaces only = Yes
   hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1
   netbios name = ciberteca
   printing = lprng
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = nobody

   security = user

   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096

  encrypt passwords = true

   wins support = yes

    update encrypted = yes
    announce version = 5
    printer admin = administrador
    admin users = administrador

    os level = 65

    domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    dns proxy = Yes
    logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
    logon drive = H:
    logon home = \\%N\%u
    logon script = logon.bat

# What naming service and in what order should we use to resolve host names
# to IP addresses
    name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

# This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
     dns proxy = no

# Name mangling options
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   default case = lower

; This boolean parameter controlls whether Samba attempts to sync. the Unix
;       password with the SMB password when the encrypted SMB password
in the
;       /etc/samba/smbpasswd file is changed.
;   unix password sync = yes
    unix extensions = Yes
    unix password sync = no

   obey pam restrictions = yes

   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

[homes]
   comment = Directorio Home
   browseable = yes

   writable = yes
   read only = no

   create mask = 0640

   directory mask = 0750

[incoming]
   comment = Directorio de intercambio temporal en la ciberteca
   path = /home/incoming
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   writable = yes
   create mask = 0664
   directory mask = 0775

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /var/local/samba/netlogon
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no
   browsable = yes
   write list = administrador
   locking = no
   case sensitive = no
   preserve case = yes

[profiles]
   comment = Perfiles MS-Windows de los usuarios
   path=/var/local/samba/profiles
   create mode = 0600
   directory mode = 0700
   read only = no