[Samba] Samba 3.0.1 -> 3.0.2 upgrade problem

Lewis Shobbrook lshobbrook at fasttrack.net.au
Thu Feb 12 04:14:32 GMT 2004

> org] On Behalf Of Barry Smoke
> Sent: Thursday, 12 February 2004 02:47
> Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [Samba] Samba 3.0.1 -> 3.0.2 upgrade problem
>
> same thing here...

I had a similar experience, where NT4, 9X & DOS clients dropped off.

This was caused by a hung process  or locked file in my case, where smbd
failed shutdown cleanly.
Rather than attempting to trace the rogue file/process, I simply
restarted the machine and all came up roses.

> amrito wrote:
>
> > Michal Sladek wrote:
> > > This morning I tried to upgrade Samba from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 final I
> > > had only few minutes to test it from Windows XP clients (we use
> > > Windows 98 and XP clients in our company) because we have
> hundreds
> > > of users connected and I had to go back to 3.0.1
> immediately before
> > > the get angry:-)
> >
> > Exactly the same happend with me.
> >
> > After compiling 3.0.2 (which worked absolutely fine) and installing
> > it, the telephone started to ring, and I had to revert immediately.
> >
> > Basic effect:
> > when attaching a network drive, the system asked for a password and
> > afterwards rejected the service with a message like
> 'invalid user or
> > password'
> >
> > I haven't got time to install 3.0.2 on a spare server to check what
> > went wrong without the threat of being thrown out of the
> window, but
> > if in between someone got some hints what might have gone wrong and
> > (even more interesting) how to fix it, I would greatly
> appreciate to
> > get the info, too.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Regards
> > john

Might be better to set-up a test machine & test your upgrades before
rolling them out eh!

Cheers,

Lewis