[Samba] impossible to write

Etienne Pallier etienne.pallier at cesr.fr
Wed Feb 11 17:38:27 GMT 2004

I have a problem with writing files to a samba folder (kind of
"upload"). I'm using Windows XP on a Dell laptop. Samba version
2.2.7-3.7.2 is installed on a linux redhat 7.2 server.
I can read the files, copy them (kind of "download") to my local hard
disk on my laptop, but can't copy a file from my local hard disk to any
samba folder, even a file as small as 30 KB !!!
When I try to do this, I get the samba folder "frozen" for about 2
minutes, and then I get this message from windows :
"Impossible to copy <file name> : The access path is too long",
which is my personal translation of what I really get in French :
"Impossible de copier <file name> : Le chemin d'accès est trop long".
(<file name> is the name of the file I want to copy).

Please help !!! Thanks

Here is my /etc/smb.conf file :

[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = WORKGROUP

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Kronos Samba Server

   load printers = no

   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 50

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user
# Use password server option only with security = server
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
# all combinations of upper and lower case.
;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

   dns proxy = no

[homes]