[Samba] Access to files

Kairam, Raj KairamR at coned.com
Tue Feb 10 21:32:06 GMT 2004

I needed to find a way for a user, on a Windows 2000 host and logging in to our internal network with appropriate network login id and password, to be able to access files in a filesystem on a unix host running HP-UX 11 (and Apache webserver) which is also on the same network.

The files in the directory on the unix host are open for all to read.

The application on the Windows host expects to have the path for the file system (on the unix host) defined in an .ini file as follows.
[Options]
XREFPATHS=<Drive Letter>\<Directory Path>

The user on the Windows host should be able to see the unix directory as a shared directory in the typical windows fashion.
MyComputer -> Public on '<Unix Host Name>'(<Drive Letter>)

I was recommended Samba for this purpose by the application vendor.

I, therefore, downloaded and installed the following depot on the unix machine. The installation with 'swinstall' went without a hitch.
samba_2.2.8a_HPUX_withwinbind.depot

While trying to configure Samba on HP-UX to use encrypted passwords, the following was done.
The file /usr/local/samba/smbpasswd was created using the mksmbpasswd.sh script.
Permissions to that file set at 600 ( only for root to read and write )
Tried to set Samba password ( separate from the unix password ) for user kairamr with smbpasswd command.
I get following error message on the screen ...
load_unicode_map: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.850 does not exist
load_unicode_map: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.ISO8859-1 does not exist
New SMB Password:   ( I enter a value )
Retype new SMB Password:  ( I enter the same value as above ) -- get these errors
unable to open passdb database.
Failed to find entry for user kairamr.
Failed to modify password entry for user kairamr
What should I do ?

I also need some help in correctly writing the file,  /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf , to be able to configure the server on the unix host.
I have seen some documentation but mostly it refers to Linux and uses 'Samba Server Configuration Tool'. At the present I would like to create manually the 'smb.conf' and test it. Currently I entered the following lines in the file.
[global]
workgroup = CONED  ( This is the domain name we use to get on our network )
[test]
comment = For Testing Only
path = /tmp/
valid users = kairamr
public = no
writable = no
printable = no
guest ok = yes

encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/smbpasswd

If any of you worked with this version ( 2.2.8 ) of samba on a HP-Unix box, I was wondering may be you can help me proceed further.

Thanks in anticipation of a reply
Raj Kairam